Pygmalion (1938)

Nominated for 4 Academy Awards:

Best Picture

Best Actor: Leslie Howard

Best Actress: Wendy Hiller

Best Writing, Screenplay (WON)

 

Every once in a while, there is an Oscar performance I hadn’t seen before, and I discover it and I am completely enchanted. Such is the case with Wendy Hiller’s almost-debut film performance in this adaptation of George Bernard Shaw’s play. She is superb, from her first moment on screen up to the very end, both during the dramatic scenes and also when bringing the comedy. She is a natural and makes it look almost effortless, and the camera loves her. I would argue she is the only one from the cast that goes beyond the basic characters to create an actual person, bringing emotion, sadness and longing to the role.

Other than that, the film is quite misogynistic at times, but well made and efficient. Leslie Howard is fine as an actor (he is also the co-director of the film), but playing such a stubborn character can be annoying and I can’t say I was rooting for him at any given time. The energy from Wendy’s performance really elevates the film.

 

I give it: 8.5/10

IMDB LINK

Comentarii

Postări populare