Mister 880 (1950)

Nominated for 1 Academy Award:

Best Supporting Actor: Edmund Gwenn

 

Here’s a film you’d never bump into. I saw it because it had an acting nomination and because I read it’s quite easy to watch, and I was also intrigued by its plot. It’s based on the true story of a counterfeiter who got away for many years by counterfeiting only $1 bills. I was expecting a light 1950s almost-comedy, and that’s exactly what I got, a film with no fuss about it and some good performances.

Burt Lancaster plays the investigator in one of his early roles, before the big breakthrough with From Here to Eternity. The surprise was Dorothy McGuire who doesn’t get much screentime for a lead, but makes it worthwhile with a charming performance of an independent woman. Refreshing to see, as I previously haven’t been a major fan. And Edmund Gwenn is great at the old criminal with a kind heart, so it’s a very worthy nomination.

 

I give it: 7/10

IMDB LINK

Comentarii

Postări populare