The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964)

Nominated for 5 (1+4) Academy Awards:

As a 1964 film:

Best Foreign Language Film - France

As a 1965 film:

Best Original Screenplay

Best Music, Score - Substantially Original

Best Music, Scoring of Music, Adaptation or Treatment

Best Music, Original Song

 

For years I’ve wanted to see this, especially since La La Land came out, given the legends that Umbrellas was an inspiration for it, and I’ve had it downloaded for a couple of months now, except I’d finally seen a clip and it seemed… difficult to get used to. There are no spoken dialogue lines, only sang, and to be honest it probably would’ve sounded better, had they been sang by better voices or actual singers. With the exception of the big song, the musical numbers are quite monotonous.

There are also many pluses: the costumes and the art direction, with all the sets so bright and colourful and enchanting. And everyone looks so good, so cheers to the casting of all attractive people. 😊 It really plays as a smart choice on camera. I don’t love it, but I respect it for the doors it opened. Very hard to rank.

 

I give it: 7/10 (?)

IMDB LINK

Comentarii

Postări populare