The Thin Man (1934) - 2nd time

Nominated for 4 Academy Awards:

Best Picture

Best Director: W.S. Van Dyke

Best Actor: William Powell

Best Writing, Adaptation

 

I probably hadn’t seen this in ~15 years, and I have to admit I didn’t love it that much back then. This time, I found more qualities to it, but it’s a film that had become largely overpraised especially in the last couple of decades. What I had to realize is forget about the murder mystery, and accept it exists for the sole purpose of featuring the charisma of its two leads, Powell and Myrna Loy.

Their roles are not complex, nor too challenging, but what they do bring is a whole lot of charm and their interactions are always great. Their affection is convincing and contagious, and it elevates the film. As I said, the plot is less important, though that big dinner reveal at the end works just fine. Good, but not iconic.

 

I give it: 8/10

IMDB LINK


Comentarii

  1. I love The Thin Man, and Powell's performance. The film is super rewatchable, and Powell's performance is so charming.

    RăspundețiȘtergere
    Răspunsuri
    1. Of course he's charming, but the film needed 30 more minutes, in my opinion. Why rush it towards the end like that?

      Ștergere

Trimiteți un comentariu

Postări populare