Nine (2009) - 2nd time

Nominated for 4 Academy Awards:

Best Supporting Actress: Penélope Cruz

Best Original Song

Best Art Direction

Best Costume Design

 

Even as I had suspected I wouldn’t go crazy for this film the second time around, I had a vision of the song My Husband Makes Movies this week, and had a real curiosity to revisit it after 10 years. To be considered: I adored many of the songs back then, especially the ones from the Broadway production. My Husband, Be Italian, Unusual Way are superb. But do they all go well together? I don’t think so, at least not in the film.

Nine itself is quite bad, with more than a few elements to blame: the superficial screenplay, some of the director’s choices (as in staging it like Cell Block Tango) and Daniel Day-Lewis. He’s not good; miscast, and in general an uninspired try-hard performance that doesn’t land, because there’s no sympathy for the guy. I wonder if Antonio Banderas as a lead might’ve saved the film, by bringing real charisma to the part.

The actresses are fine. None of them great to me, but none terribly miscast. To this day I don’t understand how the director allowed a bad recording of Cinema Italiano to make it in the film, yet it all sounds great on the soundtrack; one of the many weird things about this movie.

 

I give it: 5/10

IMDB LINK

Comentarii

  1. Oh my goodness, I remember being so excited about Nine before it was released, because I obviously had such strong ties to Chicago and was just pumped that Marshall was making another musical, nevermind one stacked with so many Oscar winners.

    ...I was pretty disappointed when I finally did watch it, though I remember REALLY loving Cruz and Cotillard. Was royally pissed that Cotillard got snubbed because of Weinstein pushing her in Lead. That said, I'm not sure how this movie and those performances might've aged in my eyes after over a decade.

    RăspundețiȘtergere
    Răspunsuri
    1. I saw it in the cinema back then, even though traditionally I don't enjoy sharing the experience. I liked the performance better back then tbh. I revisited it for "My husband...", but stayed for "Unusual way". Bad film though. Judi felt like the best now, even with the easy role.

      Ștergere

Trimiteți un comentariu

Postări populare