Into the Woods (2014) - 2nd time

Nominated for 3 Academy Awards:

Best Supporting Actress: Meryl Streep

Best Production Design

Best Costume Design

 

I was very tempted to give this more than an 8, after seeing it again today (and already upgrading it), but there were things I didn’t like, for example the plot holes in the second half, some unresolved characters and too much James Corden. The rest of it I liked much more this time around. There’s something cool and dark about it and, unlike with Nine, it feels like Rob Marshall really knows what he’s doing here.

Even with the faults in editing, the first half is so entertaining, so tightly put together, in an efficient and captivating way. I don’t know more than two of the songs, but that felt enough, and there’s some joy in recognizing all those fairytale characters and seeing them in a different light. Most of the performances are good or great; from the leads I must mention Meryl (!), who is fantastic, she really is, and Emily Blunt, also very good, sweet, perfectly cast. And the kid playing Jack. Beautiful cinematography, excellent set decoration.

 

I give it: 8/10

IMDB LINK

Comentarii

Postări populare