Carol (2015) - 2nd time

Nominated for 6 Academy Awards:

Best Actress: Cate Blanchett

Best Supporting Actress: Rooney Mara

Best Adapted Screenplay

Best Cinematography

Best Original Score

Best Costume Design

 

Imagine having 8 Best Picture nominees at the Oscars, and Carol not being one of them. Imagine having room to nominate Todd Haynes for Best Director, and not doing it. I liked Carol the first time I saw it, thought it was great, but truth is, this time, 4-5 years later, it felt spectacular. The one fault I could find it is that there wasn’t more. I wanted more, including from the family dynamic.

Carol is beautiful, literally. Shots are like photographs or paintings, the cinematography is exquisite, the original music is fascinating, the best of that year. And I found even more nuance in Cate’s mesmerizing performance, so I’d upgrade it to a full 5 stars today, because when the camera’s on her, you can’t look away. Silly, of course, to push Rooney in supporting, since she’s on screen for 70 minutes and she’s one of the leads - she, too, is superb, in a very different performance.

Must-see, if never seen, if you like beautiful, highly artistic dramas.

 

I give it: 9.5/10

IMDB LINK

Comentarii

Postări populare