The Cardinal (1963)


Nominated for 6 Academy Awards:

Best Director: Otto Preminger

Best Supporting Actor: John Huston

Best Cinematography, Color

Best Film Editing

Best Art Direction-Set Decoration, Color

Best Costume Design, Color

 

I’ve wanted to see this film for many years, but it’s a 3-hour movie, so it’s quite the commitment. It’s one of the very few films to win the Golden Globe for Film Drama and then miss the Best Picture nomination at the Oscars. The stat is surprising, but I knew before seeing it that not everyone liked The Cardinal, so I was a bit suspicious, but open to it. It’s about a Catholic priest in post WWI who gradually rises to the office of cardinal, confronting all kinds of social issues along the way.

And, while it does feel long at times, it had my attention throughout, especially as I was waiting for some supporting actors to show up. It’s a serious drama, with a couple of missteps in the screenplay, but once you get past the first hour it becomes more interesting. Tom Tryon, playing the lead, is good and fits the part. Famous director John Huston made his official acting debut in his old age in this movie, and he almost won the Oscar for it. 😊 It’s a fine performance, but rather brief. Beautiful Romy Schneider was ridiculously campaigned for lead, and got a Globe nomination, but she’s on screen only for about 30 minutes in a 3-hour film.

What I liked the most, beyond the solid story, was that it surprised me by taking some risks. The KKK scene and the whole Nazi storyline are quite terrifying, fairly unexpected and made the film more credible. You won’t have the time for it, but I liked it.

 

I give it: 8/10

IMDB LINK

Comentarii

Postări populare