Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (1936)

Nominated for 5 Academy Awards:

Best Picture

Best Director: Frank Capra (WON)

Best Actor: Gary Cooper

Best Writing, Screenplay

Best Sound, Recording

 

Just because I saw two mediocre films from Capra in the last week (this and Lost Horizon), it doesn’t mean I don’t love him, because I do (for It’s a Wonderful Life and the lively It Happened One Night). Mr Deeds, I imagine, worked perfectly back in 1936, during the Great Depression, since it tackles topics taken from that everyday reality. For that, it has my respect. That doesn’t take away, however, from the fact that the film is… pretty dull most times.

I am not sure if I should blame the actors for that or just the unusual characters. The thing is I wanted to see more from the supporting players, compared to the leads, who just didn’t appeal to me. Gary Cooper is fine, I guess, but this character is problematic and quite hard to read. Jean Arthur is fine, but it’s not much of a role and I question their chemistry. Where the film does work is with its direction, with some notable supporting actors and the purity of some of its ideas. Pleasant.

 

I give it: 7/10

IMDB LINK

Comentarii

Postări populare