Watch on the Rhine (1943)

Nominated for 4 Academy Awards:

Best Picture

Best Actor: Paul Lukas (WON)

Best Supporting Actress: Lucile Watson

Best Writing, Screenplay

 

Context matters. This film was released in 1943, based on a successful 1941 play by Lillian Hellman, about a man helping the anti-Nazi resistance. Therefor, it was very relevant for its times. It’s slightly propagandistic, but on the right side of history. I hadn’t seen Paul Lukas in anything before, as far as I know, and it was quite unusual to grant a leading win to someone who wasn’t an acclaimed film star. And yet, he won, partly because it’s a solid performance, of an ideal character, and also because the competition wasn’t that strong.

Bette Davis is the second lead of the film, and her performance starts off quite strong, but it becomes less and less subtle as the film progresses, and there is some overacting of course, and some of it really wasn’t needed. She plays it a bit too saintly.

It’s a good film, but also dated and stagey, and at times feels both important, but also redundant.

 

I give it: 7/10

IMDB LINK

Comentarii

  1. I had to revisit my own post on Lukas' performance to remember exactly how I felt about it...because I absolutely couldn't recall, lol. Certainly one of the more forgettable wins in that category. 1943's entire actor lineup was pretty underwhelming!

    RăspundețiȘtergere
    Răspunsuri
    1. Yes, I checked your ranking of course. :) His performance did pick up towards the end.

      Ștergere

Trimiteți un comentariu

Postări populare