The Heiress (1949)

Nominated for 8 Academy Awards:

Best Picture

Best Director: William Wyler

Best Actress: Olivia de Havilland (WON)

Best Supporting Actor: Ralph Richardson

Best Cinematography, Black-and-White

Best Music, Scoring of a Dramatic or Comedy Picture (WON)

Best Art Direction-Set Decoration, Black-and-White (WON)

Best Costume Design, Black-and-White (WON)

 

We lost Olivia de Havilland just a couple of days ago, at the age of 104. Other than Gone with the Wind, I think it’s safe to say that this is her most recognized and acclaimed performance (Snake Pit might also be in contention). She’s in almost every scene of it, acting somewhat against character, as an uncharismatic, shy, unattractive young woman. And I am happy to say that I liked her in the part and, more so, I liked the film.

You can tell it’s directed by William Wyler, since it’s well made, and it works from beginning to end. There’s some tension and suspense in scenes that could’ve gone without, and the film had my interest up until the very end, even though I thought I knew what would happen. Ralph Richardson was definitely a contender for the Oscar win, and nice to see Miriam Hopkins in a comeback role, though surprisingly she wasn’t nominated. It’s a good film, worthy of all the talk it’s been getting these days.

 

I give it: 8.5/10

IMDB LINK

Comentarii

Postări populare