Night Must Fall (1937)

Nominated for 2 Academy Awards:

Best Actor: Robert Montgomery

Best Supporting Actress: May Whitty

 

I remember 15-20 years ago wanting to see this film, but not being able to find it anywhere, because resources were much more limited back then. And when it did become available, my interest was just not the same. Now I finally got the chance to watch it, as I was in the mood for a mystery film that promised us at least two good performances.

Looking at the cast nowadays, Rosalind Russell would stand out, but she wasn’t a top player back then, and her performance here is underwhelming, mostly due to the poorly written character, that makes little sense. The stand-outs are Robert Montgomery in a very strong leading performance, and Dame May Whitty, in a familiar role, but very well executed towards the end.

If the performances are pleasing, the screenplay and the directing aren’t building enough tension, if any at all, making the final result feel a bit dull. It needed a Hitchcock.

 

I give it: 6.5/10

IMDB LINK

Comentarii

  1. You know how I feel about Montgomery. I also remember being quite fond of Dame May Whitty as well!

    RăspundețiȘtergere

Trimiteți un comentariu

Postări populare